Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bar Mitzvah at the Western Wall

I got tired of studying/reading, and this afternoon wandered down to the Western Wall. I stood on a chair on the women's side, and over the fence took this video of a young man at his Bar Mitvah. There are multiple bar mitvahs at the wall, I think on Mondays and Thursdays. Lots of celebrations, lot of people praying. I love going there. I wormed my way up to the wall, leaned on the cold stone wall, and prayed for the salvation of the Jews, that their eyes would be opened. The Western Wall functions as an outdoor synagogue. The men just cover their heads, the women don't have to, but this is the most holy Jewish place. When women leave the wall, they back up to exit, not turning their backs to the wall, showing respect and reverence as they are leaving,
By the way, I also wandered to the money changers (needed some shekels), and to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in the Christian Quarter, then found my way to the Western Wall in the Jewish Quarter, and back to campus through Dormition Abbey.  I have learned where some of the major streets are and am getting better about finding my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment